Mobile / 301-395-8817
The Fleisher Group


Home Purchase Assistance Program (HPAP)

The Home Purchase Assistance Program (HPAP) enables lower-and moderate-income individuals and families to purchase affordable housing in Washington, D.C. Qualified HPAP applicants can receive up to $40,000 in financial assistance to purchase single-family houses, condominiums and cooperative apartments. HPAP funds can be used for down payment and/or closing costs. The HPAP Purchase Assistance is in the form of low interest 5 year deferred loan.

Loan amounts are determined by a combination of factors, including income, household size, and the amount of assets that an applicant can commit toward the purchase price of a home. In addition, all loan recipients are required to maintain their properties in compliance with D.C. Housing Codes.

HPAP Fact Sheet

The Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) has implemented changes to our Home Purchase Assistance Program (HPAP) that will better enable low-to-moderate income residents to purchase a home in the District.

Qualified applicants can receive financial assistance for downpayment and closing costs to purchase single-family houses, condominiums or cooperative units.

To be eligible for HPAP assistance, you must meet the following criteria:

  1. Be the head of the household and a first-time homebuyer.
  2. Be a low-to-moderate income resident, based on the Department’s standards.
  3. Cannot have had ownership interest in any residential real estate within the three years prior to application.
  4. The purchased home must be the borrower’s primary residence and must be located within the District of Columbia.
  5. Possess a good credit rating.
  6. Applications are prioritized based on the following:
    1. low-income, elderly, handicapped, disabled or displaced District residents
    2. other District residents
    3. non-residents who have been employed in the District for one year prior to application
    4. non-residents who have lived in the District for three years as an adult

Please note: District residents will always be the priority for HPAP assistance. Non-resident applications will be accepted, but only processed for eligibility at times when there are no pending applications from District residents.

How much assistance is available?

Effective January 16, 2009 and until further notice, the total amount of financial assistance for downpayment provided to very low-, low-, and moderate-income eligible households shall not exceed $40,000 based upon household income, need, the availability of funds, and prevailing trends in the real estate market. Closing cost assistance is provided separately, and will be calculated for eligible households to be 4% of the home purchase price or $4,000, whichever is less.

How much will I need to contribute to qualify?

HPAP recipients contribute $500 or 50% of liquid assets greater than $3,000, whichever is greater. For very low- and low-income applicants, the contribution in excess of five hundred dollars ($500) may be waived by the Director where there is demonstrated need and the applicant is elderly, handicapped, disabled, or displaced.

How is the loan repaid?

Payment on loans made to any income-eligible household under this program are deferred for the first five years. Monthly principal-only payments begin at the start of the sixth year of the loan, amortized over a 40-year period.

The entire amount of the loan is immediately due and payable if:

  • the borrower transfers the property,
  • the property is refinanced (unless the refinance meets certain conditions), or
  • the property ceases to be the borrower’s principal place of residence.

How can I apply?

To apply for HPAP assistance, please contact one of the following organizations:

Housing Counseling Service, Inc.
2410 17th Street, NW, Suite 100
Adams Alley Entrance
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 667-7006

University Legal Services, NE
220 I Street, NW, Suite 130
Washington, DC 20002
(202) 547-4747

Latino Economic Development Corporation
2316 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 588-5102

Marshall Heights Community Development Corporation
3939 Benning Road, NE
Washington, DC 20019
(202) 396-1200

University Legal Services, SE
1800 Martin Luther King Jr.Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20020
(202) 645-7175

Lydia’s House
3939 South Capitol Street, SW
Washington, DC 20032
(202) 373-1050

Income Guidelines

View the income guidelines.

7 Easy Steps to Home Ownership

Step 1 - Contact the Community-Based Organization (CBO) convenient to you for a pre-application housing counseling session. See List.

Step 2 - Gather the HPAP Required Documentation requested by your housing counselor and complete your HPAP application.


  • Signed application
  • Two most recent pay stubs for all applicants (ALL JOBS)
  • Last 30 days bank statements for ALL ACCOUNTS
  • Most recent 2-Years federal tax returns for all adults
  • Most recent 2-Years W-2�fs for all adults
  • Most recent 2-Years District tax returns for all adults
  • Signed Rental Verification Form
  • DC lease
  • Statement of Authenticity of All Tax Returns
  • Supplemental Income award letters (IF APPLICABLE)
  • Copy of driver's license or identification card for all applicants
  • Divorce decree, 3 child support pay stubs and court order (IF APPLICABLE)
  • Notarized gift letter and two bank statements for donor (IF APPLICABLE)
  • If Self-Employed, 3-years federal tax returns, YTD Profit and Loss Statement
  • First Right Notice from landlord (IF APPLICABLE)
  • Letter explaining employment gaps (IF APPLICABLE)
  • Birth certificates for all dependents (IF APPLICABLE)
  • Written explanation of any credit problems (IF APPLICABLE)
  • Ratified Sales Contract (IF APPLICABLE)
  • Signed Authorization to Release Information to Non-Profit Developers
  • Signed Authorization to Release Information for Applicants


Step 3 - When your application is approved by the Greater Washington Urban League (GWUL), you will receive a Notice of Eligibility, which will indicate your financial assistance amount and the qualifying price range for your new house.

Step 4 - Find a house, condominium, or cooperative apartment and enter into a sales agreement to purchase it. Forward a copy of the sales agreement to GWUL.

Step 5 - Complete your mortgage application from your carefully selected financial institution. Be sure to include a copy of your Notice of Eligibility and sales agreement.

Step 6 - Complete the transfer of ownership from the current homeowner to you, which is known as settlement.

Step 7 - Move into your new home.

Information not guaranteed but deemed reliable.